- This event has passed.
Bownanza On The Mountain 2023, Sponsored By Gator Outdoors and Travel Dubuque
August 18 @ 3:00 pm – August 20 @ 4:00 pm
Bownanza On The Mountain is BACK at Sundown Mountain Resort, August 18th-20th, 2023! Enjoy our on-the-mountain archery courses, with 40 3D targets, camping, vendors, food from Jeronimo’s Bar and Grill, a kids’ archery area, and more! NEW this year, SUNDAY MONEY SHOOT with a 100% payout! More details to come on this.
Schedule: Subject to change
Friday, August 18th:
1:00 PM: Camp Grounds open for campers.
3:00 PM-Dusk: Vendor Area and 20-Target Expedition ONLY Course open (the last shooter enters the course at 5 pm).
Saturday, August 19th:
8:00 AM-Dusk: Vendor Area, 20-Target Expedition, and 20-Target Competition Courses open (the last shooter enters the course at 5 pm)
2:00-4:00 PM: “Woman in The Outdoors and Archery” Seminar presented by Steph Lane, Iowa Program Director at Outdoor Mentors and founder and host of “Woodsand Water Project.”
5:00 PM: Last shooter(s) enter courses.
5:00-9:00 PM: Live music from Joie Wails in the North Lodge.
5:00-9:00 PM: Long-Shot Competition, Practice Range, behind the North Lodge. Entry fee: $5/shot or $20 for five shots. Proceeds to benefit an area charity, TBA. You could win a Vortex Optics Package!
7:00 PM: Competition scorecards must be turned into Info Booth (located outside Mountain Center). Award Ceremony to follow shortly after inside the North Lodge
Sunday, August 20th: Money Shoot ONLY. Competition and Expedition Courses will be closed due to the Money Shoot.
9:30 AM-Noon: Money Shoot Registration inside The Mountain Center
9:30 AM: Vendor Area Opens
10:00 AM: Money Shoot Course Opens (Course TBA morning of)
Noon: Last Contestant May Enter Money Shoot Course
Approximately 4:00 PM: Competition will end, and once all scorecards are totaled, the awards ceremony will follow
Money Shoot Details:
Money shoot tournament fee: $30
Please note: You must have paid admission into BOTM to participate and can pay the day of. 100% of this money will be paid back in the class/division you are shooting in. The Money Shoot Course will ONLY be open on Sunday. Only archers competing in the Money Shoot Tournament will be allowed to shoot this course. The course layout will be announced on the morning of the shoot. People can walk with you during competition as long as they are not distracting anyone else in your group or slowing the group down.
- Adult Female Barebow (traditional, recurve, longbow, barebow without stabilizers, sights, or release aids) Max yardage of 20 yards on a 20-target course
- Adult Male barebow (traditional, recurve, longbow, barebow without stabilizers, sights, or release aids) Max yardage of 30 yards on a 20-target course
- Adult Female Bowhunter (single-pin sliders allowed, fixed pins, no magnified sights, 15-inch stabilizer max out front, no limit on back bar length) 30 Yard Max on a 20 target course
- Adult Male Bowhunter class (single-pin sliders allowed, fixed pins, no magnified sights,15-inch stabilizer max out front, no limit on back bar length) 45-yard max on a 20-target course
- Adult Female Open Class (no length limit on stabilizers and magnification is allowed) 45-yard max on a 20-target course
- Adult Male Open Class (no length limit on stabilizers and magnification is allowed) 55-yard max on a 20-target course
Sunday Money Shoot Competition Results:
Adult Female Barebow:
Adult Male barebow:
Adult Female Bowhunter:
1st: Jessica Crome
2nd: Shelby Madden
Adult Male Bowhunter Class
1st: Dylan Occutt
2nd: Shane Logan
3rd: Jordan Miller
Adult Female Open Class
1st: Payton Bellings
Adult Male Open Class:
1st: Alex Moss
2nd: Joe Biver
3rd: Austin Weber
Please CLICK HERE to contact us with any questions.
Midwest Aerial Drone Recovery
Heart Shot Ministry Eldridge
XOP-Xtreme Outdoor Products
Midwest Deer Blinds
Working Class Bowhunter Podcast
Cooper’s Truck and Auto: Yankum Ropes
Karie’s Sweet Treats
Interested in becoming a vendor at Bownanza On The Mountain 2023? CLICK HERE to fill our a vendor application and learn more!
Admission includes all three days
Bownanza Non-shooter Admission, Child 0-5 ** | FREE
Bownanza Non-shooter Admission** | $10
Bownanza Shooter Admission, Child 0-5 | FREE
Bownanza Shooter Admission, Child 6-12 | $15
Bownanza Shooter Admission, Child 13-18 | $25
Bownanza Shooter Admission Adult, 19 and older | $40
Sunday Money Shoot: $30 entry fee (in addition to Bownanza Shooter Admission fee). 20 target tournament with 100% payout by division/gender. More details to follow on payout schedule, class/divisions and rules. Available to purchase day of the event only.
Primitive Camping/Site (Available Friday and Saturday ONLY) | $15/Night or $30/Weekend per Tent/RV
More details are to be released as they become available on this page.
**Includes chairlift rides, vendor area, music, kids’ activities, and more.
Admission can be purchased at the gate the day of the event!
*Limited Trailside Camping is available at the base of our hill for camping (one vehicle/one tent). We will have a separate designated campsite at the top of the hill for RV campers in our Easy Access Camping Area. Primitive camping sites only. We do not have hookups for water or electricity or onsite shower facilities. For a list of lodging properties, including campsites with these amenities, please click HERE.
Awards will be given to each class’s top three males and three females competing on Saturday, August 19th.
- Pee Wee division (0-10 years old, male and female)
- Youth division (11-14 years old, male & female)
- Young adult (15-18 years old, male & female)
- Adult (19 and up, male and female)
- Youth Barebow (recurve, longbow, or compound bow with no stabilizers, sights or release aids) This is for pee wee, youth, and young adults. Max yardage of 20 yards on 20 target competition course.
- Pee Wee Compound (any compound bow that has/uses any of the following devices; stabilizer, sights, releases) 20 yard max on 20 target competition course
- Youth Compound (any compound bow that has/uses any of the following devices; stabilizer, sights, releases) This is for youth/young adults. Max yardage of 30 yards on 20 target competition course.
- Adult Female Barebow (traditional, recurve, longbow, barebow without stabilizers, sights or release aids) Max yardage of 20 yards on 20 target competition course
- Adult Male barebow (traditional, recurve, longbow, barebow without stabilizers, sights or release aids) Max yardage of 30 yards on 20 target competition course
- Adult Female Bowhunter (single-pin sliders allowed, fixed pins, no magnified sights, 15-inch stabilizer max out front, no limit on back bar length) 30 Yard Max on 20 target competition course
- Adult Male Bowhunter class (single-pin sliders allowed, fixed pins, no magnified sights,15-inch stabilizer max out front, no limit on back bar length) 45-yard max on 20 target competition course
- Adult Female Open Class (no length limit on stabilizers and magnification is allowed) 45 yard max on 20 target competition course
- Adult Male Open Class (no length limit on stabilizers and magnification is allowed) 55 yard max on 20 target competition course
SATURDAY COMPETITION UPDATE: Congratulations to our winners of yesterday’s competition! Awards were given out to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Awards may be picked up in the North Lodge until 2 PM, Sunday, August 20th. If you cannot pick up your award, please CLICK HERE to arrange pick up.
Camping & Property Policies
Are carry-ins allowed?
Carry-ins aren’t allowed on the course. Coolers are permitted in the camping area only.
Are ATVs allowed?
ATVs are NOT allowed on the course. Only individuals who are camping (pay for a camping pass) may use an ATV on the designated trail to get up and down the hillside to and from their campsite.
Can I drive my vehicle to our campsite?
Trailside primitive camping can be accessed only by vehicles with four-wheel drive. We do have a designated campsite for RVs in our South Lot.
Do you offer full hook-up RV sites?
Unfortunately, we offer only boondocking camping (no water, sewer or electrical connections). We will have porta potties available in the RV parking area. Please CLICK HERE to see a list of RV Parks available in the area with these amenities.
Are campfires allowed in the camping areas?
Yes, fires are allowed in fire rings and grills only. Fire rings must be elevated. We do not supply fire rings, grills, or firewood. We will have firewood available for purchase at our community campfire in the camping area. Do not leave fires unattended, and put out all fires before leaving.
Are there off-site lodging options?
Please CLICK HERE to see a list of lodges available in the area.
Are dogs allowed at this event?
Yes, this is a dog-friendly event, though they NOT allowed on the 3D course or in the lodges. All dogs must be on a leash, and any dog displaying aggressive behavior will need to leave the property. Dog owners are also responsible for cleaning up after their pets.
Courses & Competition
What kind of scoring will be used at this event?
Bownanza On The Mountain will be using the IBO scoring format at known yardage. The scoring rings are worth 11, 10, 8, and 5 points. The smallest center circle is worth 11 points. The next largest ring is 10 points. The biggest scoring ring is 8 points. Arrows hitting the target anywhere outside the 8-ring score of 5 points. If you miss the target you score 0 points.
Are rangefinders allowed on the course?
Yes, rangefinders are allowed to be used on the course.
*Some exclusions apply. More details to come.
Please watch this page and our social media pages for updates as they become available.
Follow us on social media
Special Thanks To Our 2023 Sponsors
Gold Title Sponsors: Gator Outdoors and Travel Dubuque
Silver Sponsors: Wapsi Valley Archery, Midwest Aerial Drone Recovery and McKenzie Delta
Wapsi Valley Archery
Midwest Aerial Drone Recovery
New Vienna Mutual Insurance
Plum Creek Archery
Midwest Deer Blinds
Wade Bormann Insurance KOFC
Steve’s Body Shop
Dana Olson Realty
The Car Wash (Bellevue)
Willenborg Plumbing & Heating Inc.
JW Habitat Management
R & R Sports Inc.
Bigger Bucks Outfitters
Wicked Matty’s Deadheads
Jeronimo’s Bar & Grill
Heart Shot Ministry
Are you interested in becoming a sponsor? Contact us by clicking the button below to hear about our sponsorship opportunities!